Sunday, November 22, 2009

Labor of Division

I figured out how to do division today. I've been doing addition, subtraction, and multiplication for a while now. I know that 3 times 4 is 12. I even know that 3 squared is 9.

But today, Daddy tried a new one on me. I told him that our lesson in Primary was on tithing, so he asked me how much tithing I should pay if I got $10. I told him $1. Easy enough. Then he asked me how much tithing I should pay if I got $20. That one stumped me, so he asked it a different way.

"How many tens are in 20?" he asked
"Two," I said.
I think that surprised him. "Whoa. How did you know that?"
"Because of that song I sing: ten... twenty... thirty..."

Then he gave me another one.

"How many threes are in six?" he tried. I think he thought I could only do division for multiples of ten.
"Two," I said after thinking about it for a second.
"How many fives are in ten?"
"Two."
"How many threes are in nine?" I guess he wanted to make sure I wasn't just answering "two" for every question.
"Three." I said.

Daddy says I learned how to do division. Next up: square roots. After that: derivatives.

2 comments:

Jed Eastman said...

Cheesy, I know, but this post makes me laugh and smile and gets me really excited to try brain teasers on little Jed's one day. That is one smart kid.
PS. Justin, I miss Grand Central Station ... a lot. I think we should meet there soon. What do you say? They don't have big train stations like Grand Central in San Francisco, but they do have giant docks where enormous boats come in ... what do you think? Sound like fun? Tell your parents you wanna come see it--and your favorite uncle Jed.

SAM said...

So Justin....what's one more than half of what thirty is ten less than? :)