Thursday, November 22, 2007

Settling In

Like any recently moved yuppie family (see, for example, this post) we went to IKEA today. To get there, we took the Southern train to Mitcham Junction, then we took the Tram to Ampere Way. I liked riding trains.


The coolest thing we got at IKEA was orange chair covers. They were only a quid each. (A "quid" is a pound, as in money, for you out-of-towners.) Now, I can spill on the landlord's chairs and they won't even know it.


Speaking of new words, here are some others I've learned:

  • A tram is a cable car
  • A trolley is a shopping cart
  • When you ask for lemonade, they give you Sprite (I haven't figured out how to get actual lemonade yet)
  • A refuse sack is a garbage bag
  • A dust bin is a garbage can

By the way, Happy Thanksgiving everyone. We didn't have a turkey dinner today, but at least I got some poultry (chicken nuggets at McDonald's). Yes, they have McDonald's here. And no, I won't eat there every day. We only ate there today because we don't have groceries yet. We ordered them online today and they'll be delivered tomorrow. Groceries without having to go to the store... I love this country.

No comments: