Sunday, August 10, 2008

Clapham Common Ward

Today was our last Sunday at church before we go back to Atlanta. We said goodbye to all our friends. Now that I think about it, I don't think I've told you much about our ward: the Clapham Common Ward.

Our ward is a pretty small ward, and a very diverse one. There are a lot of people who were born in Africa, some who are from Jamaica, a few born-and-raised Brits, and a handful of Americans, like us. And for semesters at a time, there are exchange students from BYU who come to the ward to help out.

Our first Sunday here, there were about 70 people in Sacrament Meeting. These days, it's probably closer to 90. Mama plays the piano in Sacrament Meeting and is in the Primary Presidency. On many days, she would play the piano in Sacrament Meeting, teach the lesson in the older Primary class (there are only two classes: one for those less than 8 and another for the older kids), lead Singing Time, and run Sharing Time. When BYU exchange students are here, they often help as primary teachers and sometimes take over the piano playing.

My Primary class has about 3-5 kids in it. I'm the youngest. The next youngest is my friend Kae (he's 6). When I showed up, he was so excited not to be the youngest anymore that he took me under his wing and helped me out.

Daddy teaches in Elders Quorum. His days aren't quite so hectic. But he tries (not very successfully) to keep me and McKenzie entertained on Sunday afternoons while Mama takes a nap after her busy morning.

Anyway, we said goodbye to all that today. I'm excited to be able to go to church with my friends Benjamin and Riley when I get back to Atlanta, but I'll miss my friends here in London.

1 comment:

Joe said...

Hey, I've had a fun time vicariously experiencing your stay in the UK. I guess even good things must come to end end eventually. Be sure to send us your contact info when you get back to Atlanta.
Joe W.