Tuesday, August 19, 2008

We're Back

We made it back. After an hour taxi ride to Gatwick, a nine-hour flight to Atlanta, an hour-and-a-half getting through customs (you have to go through passport control, collect your luggage, go through customs, recheck your bags, go through security, and then re-collect your bags), and an hour drive to Grandma and Grandpa's house, we were pretty tired. We slept, went to church, then slept some more (after church... not during).

It's been fun to be back. I got to go to primary with my friend Riley (Benjamin was away on holiday... er, vacation). And I get to sleep in my old bed.

We're trying to get back into the lifestyle: driving everywhere, fast food on every corner, high fructose corn syrup. One thing I didn't miss when I was gone was political news coverage. Like this one, which was the "top story" on Daddy's My Yahoo! page: Election a Study in U.S. Patriotism. The story leads with this summary:

The U.S. presidential election presents a sharp contrast between two types of patriotism: John McCain stands as a war hero. His rival Barack Obama calls Americans back to the can-do spirit of the nation's founders. In November the candidates will find out which style appealed more to voters...

Huh? This election is about patriotism? Excuse me, but I think that's ridiculous. Shouldn't it be about whether everyone here has access to good healthcare, like our friends in other countries? Or about whether our country acts like a bully on the global playground or like the kid that everyone wants to have around? Or about whether we're going to stay addicted to petrol?

Is patriotism all you've been talking about while I've been gone?

2 comments:

Lucile Eastman said...

It's good to have you back!

Anonymous said...

Hello from London!

Good call on the patriotism thing Justin. Obama said something similar during his speech at the DNC!